This moment was the most incredible memorable day for Team Bronson as the team joined with Ainsley’s Angels to run in the 42nd Marine Corps Marathon located in Washington, D.C. Crossing the finish line after 26.2 miles was such an honor for Bronson, his dad and Bronson’s running buddy Bill! Thank you to all who made this monumental day happen! What a powerful, emotional day it was……
[click to enlarge photos]
In January, two teams made up of 22 runners took turns as they pushed Bronson in a 55K relay race on a cold frigid morning. The enthusiastic spirits that each running member of the Brave Like Bronson team had was topped off with even more excitement as Bronson was honored as a special child for Wolfson's Children's Hospital during a special ceremony.
In February, Bronson and one of his team mates, Deputy Officer Quick, ran the 26.2 with Donna - a full marathon. This was the National Marathon to fight Breast Cancer held in Jacksonville, FL. This was quite an accomplishment for both, as Bronson's running mate was recovering from a recent surgery. Quick was determined to finish this race for Bronson. We will be forever grateful to Deputy Officer Quick for dedication to Team Bronson.
In March, Team Bronson members ran in the 40th Annual Gate River Run 15K. A large group of Brave Like Bronson team runners marched their way up to the start line in their lime green team shirts. They were escorted by Bronson and his Hoyt running chair. This was Team Brave Like Bronson's 3rd Gate River Run.
The Brave Like Bronson team has been running strong in individual races. Listed below are some of the achievements that Brave Like Bronson team members have accomplished in the last few months.
Go Team Brave Like Bronson!
Love the Loop 15K in Dallas, Texas
Lone Star Half Marathon in Dallas, Texas
Tal Morrison Classic 15K in Dallas, Texas
Military Heroes Run 10K in Dallas, Texas
Rock N Roll ½ Marathon, Savannah, Georgia
Marine Corps ½ Marathon, Jacksonville, Fla
Superhero 5K in Jacksonville, Fla located at NS Mayport
Chariots of Fur 5K in Jacksonville Beach
LumiTronix 5K Run in Jacksonville, Fla
Celebration 5k in Jacksonville, Fla
Run for the Pies 5K in Jacksonville, Fla
Race Against Hunger" 5k in Jacksonville, Fla
Cupcake Run 5K in Jacksonville, Fla
RunJax Labor Day 5K Run in Jacksonville, Fla
Fat Tuesday 5K in Jacksonville, Fla located at NS Mayport
Shamrock 5K in Jacksonville, Fla
Navy Birthday 5K in Jacksonville, Fla
Chuck Cornett Memorial 5K in NAS Jacksonville
Run for the Son 8K in Orange Park, Fla
Never Quit 5K in Jacksonville Beach
Armed Forces 5k in Jacksonville, Fla located at NS Mayport
Girl Power 2 Cure 5K in Jacksonville, Fla
Shearwater 5K in St Augustine, Fla
Shrimp Festival Run 5K in Fernandina Beach, Fla
Shrimp Festival 5K in Fernandina Beach, Fla
Spartan Race 8.4 miles in Bunnell, Fla
Cause with Paws in Jacksonville, Fla
THE NIGHT BEFORE RACE DAY WITH BRONSON.......
• The nurses tell Bronson he has a race in the morning.
• Like any boy, he gets very excited and doesn’t want to fall asleep.
• His race shirt, shorts, shoes, happy socks and head band are laid out perfectly for a quick change during the early morning hours.
• His signature spikey hair must be prepared too. By his race uniform is his hair gel (a boy needs to look good at the starting line).
• His race chair is disassembled and packed in his van.
• His iPad is fully charged and emergency meds are prepared ahead of time.
**With excitement of race day ahead, everyone tries to sleep.**
• He wakes up with a ‘game face’ and lots of laughter!
• Usually before the sun comes up, everyone (Team Bronson) meets Bronson in their lime green shirt at the race site stretching and getting pumped up!
• His chair is assembled with a BIG lime green flag attached and inspected for the race ahead.
• He is then picked up and transferred from the wheel chair to the race chair.
**AT THIS POINT, IT IS GAME ON!!!**
• Racing Bibs are pinned on the chair and his team.
• The starting line is all we see!
• The pep talks at the starting line, high fives, and ‘we own this Bronson’ are the words from the runners.
**AND THE REST IS HISTORY!**
• Pictures are worth a thousand words!!!! As long as we have legs Bronson will race!!!
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE POSSIBLE AND IMPOSSIBLE LIES IN DETERMINATION!!!
• Every mile brings a smile....
• The Wolfson Children's Challenge celebrates patients' lives while benefitting the region's only children's hospital.
During this year’s 2017 Wolfson Children’s Challenge Ultra 55K Relay Race, Team Bronson had 22 participating runners. Each runner relayed a 5K. Some of the participants for ‘Team Bronson’ traveled from outside the Jacksonville, Florida area to run and cheer on the team. Every year, this event features 55 children who share their inspiring stories. This year Bronson was one of 55 children honored during the event. Bronson who suffered a severe brain injury at birth has gone through multiple procedures and continues his treatments as Wolfson Children’s Hospital. Team Bronson was honored to be a part of this historic children’s hospital event.